A beautiful partnership of an outdoor school and a medicinal herb farm awaits the right 2 people to join us this summer as we continue to do the good work of connecting people to nature and growing medicinal herbs.
We are looking to have 2 interns to help with all aspects of life and work on our small farm and outdoor school located in Beautiful Grey County, Ontario. You will join us in early May in a part time capacity (to help with garden prep and planting) and move on site full time in early June, staying until the end of September.
In exchange you will secure a spot in our popular Wild Plants Apprenticeship Program as well as all other workshops, community days and canoe trips that are run during the summer months.
Rebel Roots Herb Farm (www.rebelrootsherbfarm.ca) is our other venture that specializes in producing quality organic medicinal herbs.
Private accommodations will be provided as well as basic food staples, eggs and veggies from the gardens.
You will be working 6 days a week 8-5 with a one hour lunch break. Your day off is in addition to days spent in programs and workshops (ie. Some weeks you will be ‘working’ only 4 days). Interns are expected to be in a supportive role during programs/workshops/trips.
During your time with us you will gain experience:<
- Prepping garden beds, planting herbs and veggies<
- Growing, drying and marketing medicinal and culinary herbs
- Making herbal tinctures, salves, syrups and other products
- Growing and preserving berries, apples and vegetables
- Working in a greenhouse
- Caring for chickens (both layers and broilers)
- Creating and maintaining space during programs, workshops, community days and other events
- Outfitting canoe trips, back-country canoeing and camp set up
- Producing marketing material (video, photos, etc)
- Maintaining the farm property
This Internship might be perfect for you if you:
- Have a desire to deepen your understanding of the natural world and your place in it
- Are motivated by a sense of fulfillment that comes from a job well done.
- Strive to make jobs efficient
- Consider yourself independent and self-sufficient
- Are flexible and adaptable
- Can see the value of this exchange
If interested in committing to this internship please send a letter of intent to email@example.com by March 15th. Interviews will begin shortly thereafter.
“The internship was an incredible opportunity to build my skills through hands-on learning, mentorship and workshops. Interning with both Rebel Roots Herb Farm and Earth Tracks Outdoor School allowed me to work on a variety of projects and helped me to figure out where my passion lay and what I want to do in the future. Bobbi and Alexis are both skilled mentors who supported me in exploring my interests and building my skills. The summer was busy and full of hard work, with lots of laughs, time alone and the opportunity to take leadership in areas that interested me. Tending to the herb farm every day as the plants grew from seed to harvest increased my understanding of how medical plants grow, what running a herbal medicine farm involves and deepened my relationship with the plants. Rebel Roots Herb Farm and Earth Tracks Outdoor school are both committed to ecological growing and sustainability, all of their work is rooted in connection and deep respect for the natural world. I learned how to be a better steward and naturalist. I loved spending the summer living in such a beautiful place where I enjoyed swimming every day, reading under massive walnut trees, having campfires and stargazing.” -Testimonial from 2016 intern