Scheduled & Custom Canoe Trips
Earth Tracks offers a variety of canoe trips that explore many of the natural wilderness areas of Central and Northern Ontario. Our naturalist-guided adventures allow participants the chance to fully immerse in the magic and beauty of our province (a world-famous paddling destination), and trips range from 2 to 14 days in length.
Our next scheduled trip is August 8th-13th 2017, with more trips being announced soon.
Our trips are not about covering many miles on the water each day, but taking the time to really learn and experience all that the wilderness has to offer. We will often paddle from 6-8 hours one day and then make a basecamp to explore a new area the following day, spending two nights in one spot. By doing this it allows us to slow down, explore, and really sink into the serenity and solitude that only the wilderness can provide.
Or maybe you are looking to experience the swirling white water and thrilling experience of paddling down a historic river. Covering miles more quickly as the river twists and turns and you paddle freely with the momentum of the moving water. Travelling by canoe is one of the best ways to engage and connect with nature. At Earth Tracks we love bringing people into the backcountry of Ontario and giving them a chance to experience the wilderness up close and personal, while learning about the natural world in a deep and powerful way.
Imagine waking up to the call of a Loon over a misty lake as the sun gently rises over the eastern horizon. Sharing a leisurely breakfast around an open fire, and working as a team to pack up supplies to prepare for another day of paddling, learning, and enjoyment. Or perhaps you’ll take advantage of the early morning quiet and wake up early, fill a thermos with tea or coffee and head out at first light to look for the majestic moose, beavers, otters, herons and other wildlife that can be spotted along the shoreline in the early morning hours.
As we paddle, explore, and share meals, you’ll become more aware of your surroundings and the vitality of nature, and this awareness (often subconscious as well as conscious) gently shifts you into becoming more in-tune with the world around you.
Our canoe trips are for people of all backgrounds and experience levels. Each canoeing experience features spectacular wildlife viewing, delicious meals cooked over the fire, and the chance to experience and learn about the natural and cultural history of the Canadian wilderness. Come and paddle with us and make memories that will last a lifetime. Our Wilderness Canoe Trips are all-inclusive, providing you with everything needed to experience the natural world by canoe. This includes food, park permits, guiding, instruction and outfitting (canoes, paddles, personal flotation devices, safety gear, tents, etc.). A full packing list, directions, and further information will be sent out upon registration.
What makes our trips different from other Outfitters:
- We share observation and awareness techniques that will help you to get close to wildlife and experience the natural world on an intimate level. Rather than just pointing out a nearby animal, we will share with you about the biology and behaviour of the species that we come across and the ecological role it plays in this eco-system. (We do, however, keep a healthy distance from certain species and do our best to not impede into their ‘comfort zone’).
- Our trips are more than just canoeing and camping: they are eco-educational trips where you’ll learn about the flora and fauna of the region as well as the rich history and ecology of the area we paddle through.
- Our trips are participatory in nature and you will learn what it takes to set up and break camp, travel safely through a wilderness setting, various paddling techniques, how to portage a canoe, the many ways to utilize fire, and how to ‘survive and thrive’ in the wild. As opposed to a vacation where everything is done for you while you bask in nature; this is a chance for you to enjoy nature while learning lifelong skills you can use the next time you are camping with friends and family.
- All of our trips are guided by Alexis Burnett, who has been paddling for over 30 years and is the founder and lead instructor of all the workshops and apprenticeships at Earth Tracks. Alexis has an extensive background in the outdoors and has trained with many leading experts in the field of tracking, wilderness survival and bush craft, naturalist skills, herbalism, and foraging. His skills extend far beyond ‘just leading canoe expeditions’ and he is passionate about sharing his love and appreciation for the outdoors.
- We provide fresh and mostly organic local food, some of which is grown and raised by Alexis and his family on their small farm.
Custom Wilderness Canoe Trips
Earth Tracks offers custom canoe trips that will meet and exceed the goals of your individual group, school or organization. With a minimum of 4 people we will gladly plan with you a memorable Wilderness Canoe Trip. Our schedule fills up quickly so don’t hesitate to call our office for more details or to inquire about planning an experience that you’ll be happy with.
In the past we have designed trips to have different themes such as:
- Learning about Edible and Medicinal Plants
- Wildlife Viewing
- Wilderness Survival/Bush Craft
- Wildlife Tracking
If you are looking for a more advanced or more remote paddling experience, we are available to provide fully-guided wilderness canoe trips down many central and northern Ontario rivers including the Magnetewan, Dumoine, Missinaibi, and many others.
We have also guided canoe trips for large and small school groups that are eligible for the Duke of Edinburgh Award. These trips have taken place in area such as Algonquin and Killarney Parks, Georgian Bay, and Temagami as well as on Crown Land throughout Central Ontario.